The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) regulates and distributes information about state wetlands across New York. The United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) regulates federal wetlands, while the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service distributes information to the public about the National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) federal wetlands across the country.
Maps have been produced for both state and federal wetlands to predict where wet areas are located within the landscape. Wetlands maps are available to view online as well as in hardcopy format. Please note that online resources will be more up to date than hardcopy resources.
There are no conclusive maps that show the presence or absence of state or federal wetlands. Regulatory agencies may use these mapped boundaries to predict where wetlands are located, but onsite inspection is required for defining the presence, absence, or scope of state or federal wetlands.
How can I obtain digital maps?
Federal and state wetlands can be viewed online using web mapping tools. Web maps are interactive mapping applications that convey geographic information systems over the internet. Web maps allow the user control over the data displayed, with the ability to choose the data layers, extents, and location shown on the screen. These maps can be converted to PDFs and printed. The following web maps can be used to view state or federal wetlands:
- State Wetlands
- Federal Wetlands
How can I obtain hardcopy maps?
Hardcopies of federal and state wetlands maps can be viewed or purchased. These are based on the USGS topo quads. Hardcopies may be out of date and may not display accurate data.
- GCSWCD Main Office: GCSWCD maintains an inventory of the NYSDEC (state) and NWI (federal) wetlands maps that cover the majority of Greene County. State wetland maps are available to view and purchase, while federal wetland maps are available for viewing only. For more information, to confirm the availability of state or federal wetland maps, or to order state wetlands maps, it is recommended to contact the GCSWCD Main Office at 518-622-3620.
- NYSDEC Wetlands Maps: State wetland maps are available for view or purchase. Maps are available for pickup at the office for $10.00 or can be mailed for $13.00. Please note: GCSWCD does not carry a complete inventory of state wetlands maps and will not continue to restock the inventory for purchase.
- NWI Wetlands Maps: Federal wetlands maps are available for viewing only. Print copies are not available for purchase. Please note: GCSWCD does not carry a complete inventory of federal wetlands maps.
- NYSDEC: The NYSDEC regional offices hold paper copies of state wetlands maps. Photocopies may be made for portions of wetland maps or full size wetland maps may be ordered for purchase.
- To learn more about state wetlands mapping, go to the NYSDEC webpage at the following link: https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5124.html
- For all of Greene County and the Schoharie Reservoir watershed area, contact the NYSDEC Region 4 office to order full size paper copies of state wetland maps:
NYSDEC Region 4 Office
1130 North Westcott Road, Schenectady, NY 12306-2014